Back To School Tips To Keep Your Student Smiling
Back to school time, for many, is an exciting time – a fresh start to a new school year. This is the perfect time to schedule your child’s dental check up. As you check off your shopping lists for school supplies and clothes, make sure to add a visit to your family dentist and also a time to review your dental hygiene routine at home with your child. This will not only help your child start his school year on a positive note, but can help ensure he stays on track all year long.
Benefit to starting the school year with a dental check-up
- Allows your children’s dentist to examine your child’s teeth for decay/cavities, ensure proper growth and provide helpful tips to maintain a healthy smile all year long.
- Decreases risk for additional dental issues requiring additional treatment. The American Dental Association says, “prevention and early detection can help avoid pain, trouble eating, difficulty speaking and school absences”.
- Gives your child confidence to start their school year with a healthy and bright smile.
How to maintain a healthy smile throughout the school year
- When shopping for new school supplies, include new dental hygiene supplies (let your child pick their favorite color or design)
- Brush and floss at least two (2) times a day. (Make it fun by adding a favorite song or game to the routine)
- Pack healthy snacks that help protect teeth against cavities (i.e. cheese, apples, carrots, celery)
- Replace sugary drinks with good old fashion water
- When participating in organized sports, make sure your child wears a properly fitting mouth guard
- Schedule routine check-ups every six (6) months
Remember, in order to ensure your child has a happy and healthy school year, we all must work together. See you at your next visit.